DIY Pressed Pigment Eyeshadow Palette Tutorial - Part 2

Tuesday, February 18, 2014



...now on to part 2...all of teh swatchez!..........(p.s - it's pic heavy!)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - -

Welcome back!!

On to the pressed pigments! First up, if you'd like to see an extensive write up about my pressing pigments experiment then check out my previous post.

For this particular palette I wanted a variety of colours but still logically grouped together. First, I broke down my indie collection into shades I was willing to sacrifice and then those into rough colour groups. My reasoning was that I have a lot of older Fyrinnae shadows that are either no longer available or the formulation has changed in colour enough (I'm looking at you Te Amo and Anemone) that I'm not willing to risk my older and now irreplaceable shades by pressing them and maybe killing them in the process.

The groupings I ended up with were Blues, Greens, Purples and Taupes/Browns which are colours I tend to use most/work well with my brown eyes. Each colour group was on a diagonal axis of my palette and resulted in each section having 4 x 26mm Circle pans, 2 x 26mm square pans and 2 x small rectangle pans.

completed palette in daylight balanced artificial light
completed palette under direct flash *sparkle sparkle!*

List of Materials Used
  • Paper towel
  • Tooth picks/skewers
  • clear jars for mixing
  • 100% Isopropyl alcohol
  • MyMix pressing medium
  • syringe/eyedropper for alcohol
  • Pressing tool and various pan size pressing bases (optional)
  • Ribbon for crosshatch pattern (optional)



The formula I used was 3 drops or MyMix for 1/4-1/3 tsp samples and minis, 4 MyMix drops for a Shiro full size shadow, and 5 drops for anything 1 full tsp such as full size Concrete Mineral shadows with enough alcohol to flood the mixture into a mud like consistency. 

Personally I found this formula - once dried - was soft and buttery but I guess could be a little too soft for some tastes. I've heard that adding a drop of glycerin to the mix will help stiffen up (lol that's what she said) the end result.

After a few straight up pure presses, I started to mix multiple shades in together in order to bump up the quantities in order to fill an entire pan..... and sometimes because I wanted more of this colour or that sparkle in my shadow :) - feel free to keep yours pure or go nuts and invent your own customized shade! I found none of my shadow's performance suffered from my mixing different shades together.


Below are a list of the shades - sorry for the confusing layout. All swatches are dry over UDPP.
(f) = Fyrinnae, (s) = Shiro, (sp) = Sugarpill, (cm) = Concrete Minerals



- Blues -

From bottom left to top right - squares and rectangles: 
1. Cuddlefish(f)+Parental Advisory(f)+Rattatta(s), 2. Lumi(sp), 3. Winter Again(f), 4. Anemone(f) 


From bottom left to top right - circles: 
5. Kinky(cm)+Veran(s), 6. Infinity(cm), 7. Curiouser and Curiouser(f)+Futuristic Glamrock(f)  


Corner circle: 
8. Eternal Innocence(f)+Madam & Eve(f)+ I think a smidge of Hypercool! 

Blues in daylight balanced artificial light

Blues in direct flash

Swatches L-R of EIM&EH, KM, Infinity, C&C, Anemone, Winter Again, Lumi, CPAR under natural light

Swatches L-R of EIM&EH, KM, Infinity, C&C, Anemone, Winter Again, Lumi, CPAR under direct flash

- Greens -

Top left to bottom right - squares and rectangles: 
1. Anemone, 2. Pteranodon(f)+smidge of Lumi(sp), 3. Kokiri Forest(s)+Gilded Wings(f), 4. Aromaleigh - random sample and I've lost the jar :(  

Top left to bottom right - circles: 
5. Callypgian(f)+Boytoy(f), 6. Acid(s), 7. Dressed to Kill(f) - old formula

Corner circle:
8. Link(s)

Greens under daylight balanced  artificial light

Greens under direct flash

Swatches L-R  of CB, Link, Acid, Dressed to Kill, Anemone, PL, KFG, Aromaleigh under indirect sunlight

Swatches L-R  of CB, Link, Acid, Dressed to Kill, Anemone, PL, KFG, Aromaleigh  under direct flash

shot of the duochrome shift effect from camel-copper to mint green of the random Aromaleigh shade


- Purples -

From top left to bottom right - squares and rectangles:
1. Smut(cm), 2. Din's Fire(s), 3. Cupcake Sprinkles(f), 4. Cuddlefish(f)+Parental Advisory(f)+Rattatta(s)

From top left to bottom right - circles: 
5. Ganadorf(s), 6. Not Sure - mixed about 5 different shades together lol, 7. Jezebel(cm)

Corner circle:
8. Beauty Blogger(f)+Sugar Skulls(f)

Purples under indirect daylight balanced artificial light 

Purples under direct flash

Swatches L-R of Ganadorf, BBSS, NS, Jezebel, Smut, Din's Fire, Cupcake Sprinkles, CPAR under direct flash

shot of the colour shift/complexities in Smut, Cupcake Sprinkles and CPAR


- Taupes/Browns- 

From bottom left to top right - squares and rectangles: 
1. Aromaleigh random, 2. Sake & Sashimi(f), 3. Te Amo(f) (new formula), 4. Smut(cm)

From bottom left to top right circles: 
5. Aromaleigh Grace|Frost, 6. Nijiro(f)+Moon Child(f), 7. Troublemaker(cm)

Corner circle:
Fira Opal(f)+STFU(f)


Taupes/Browns under indirect daylight balanced artificial light 

Taupes/Browns under direct flash

Swatches of A-Grace|Frost, FOSTFU, NMC, Troublemaker, A-Random, S&S, Te Amo, Smut under indirect sunlight

Swatches of A-Grace|Frost, FOSTFU, NMC, Troublemaker, A-Random, S&S, Te Amo, Smut under direct flash

shot of the awesome colour shift on the random Aromaleigh one, Te Amo and Smut


- Gold -

Center Square: random gold glittery pigment I've had for forever!

L - indirect sunlight, R- direct flash

Sooooo after that marathon post, I've definitely learnt one thing - WRITE DOWN WHAT YOUR MIXING!! LOL. Trying to figure out what I added where, even with all the empty jars, has been a nightmare - the labels on the above are about 99% accurate so my apologies, but hey this was a post about making your own DIY palette whichever way you choose, not a review  =P

My favorite turn outs would have to be all of the duochrome shades and having Dressed to Kill in pressed format as its one of my all time fave greens. I also love having 33 awesome indie pigments in one travel friendly and easy to use format!

Hope you guys like this one and thanks for sticking in there! Maybe it'll come in handy some afternoon when a bout of OCD like spring cleaning strikes you or some such :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

© Bambikai Land 2017

Featured Post

Too Faced's Romantic Eye Palette - Review & Swatches

Today's post is a review of the Romantic Eye Palette by Too Faced Cosmetics. I lusted after this little beauty for an age before f...

Subscribe